Friday, September 7, 2007

Tell The MSM to Get With It!

For some reason today I hit my limit on the Jena 6 injustice and had to do something. Being trapped in DC, I felt my only option was to write the Washington Post.

This is what I sent to them:
I am saddened that the only story in the Post of the injustice in Jena, La., has been about the reduction of one of the students' charges (thankfully) with no mention of the injustice behind the charges. What happened to the teens in Jena is indicative of the larger race relations problem we have in the U.S. This country is sharply divided, which is extremely obvious in the District.

The facts in Jena, La.: There is a "whites only" tree on school property; school officials described nooses tied to trees as a "prank"; and the District Attorney told six teenagers "I can be your best fried or your worst enemy...I can take away your lives with a stroke of my pen".

Has the U.S. really come to a point where all it cares about is the wronging of white lacrosse players, the kidnappings/murders of white women and suburban school tragedies? What happened in Jena is worthy of national news coverage.

The legal system has failed these young Americans, and it appears so has the mainstream media. If you would like some information on the story so that you can share with Washingtonians what is happening in America's south, visit www.colorofchange.com/jena.


Well it turns out that the Post had written a fairly decent article on this last Saturday. So I have a feeling the won't be running my letter. However, I encourage each of you to to see if your local paper has run a story and respond to the editor as needed. (Just don't do like I did and search their site for jena 6 instead of jena.)

Here is more information about writing letters to the editor.
Here is some information on the lack of media coverage of this issue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great stuff, Magda. It is a travesty what is happening there. Though, we will hear all about Britney at the VMA...we cannot get a story on this true injustice. So, if the Wash. Post had an article there should be non stop coverage...it is in my mind a blackout.

magda flores said...

'Tis true. And the Post didn't even cover it until this past Saturday.

Unknown said...

hey magda, good for you. we have to speak up. lots of folks i know are just starting to hear about the jena 6 but mostly i send them links. my god, help us.