Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Shock Doctrine - Short Film

Naomi Klein wrote a book called the Shock Doctrine. I saw her speak with Cindy Sheehan in 2004 and was blown away by her. I cannot wait to read this book. But, when the book was finished she said: I sent it to Alfonso Cuarón because I adore his films and felt that the future he created for Children of Men was very close to the present I was seeing in disaster zones. I was hoping he would send me a quote for the book jacket and instead he pulled together this amazing team of artists -- including Jonás Cuarón who directed and edited -- to make The Shock Doctrine short film. It was one of those blessed projects where everything felt fated." - Naomi Klein
The premise of the book and movie is that when disasters occur, natural or man made is when the profiteers swing into action. Really though it is an assault on capitalism and how incongruent it is with democracy. It is an amazing little film and I cannot wait to read the book. I will be running to Three Lives this weekend.

No comments: