Friday, January 4, 2008

immigration and the border fence

hello SG readers. i was reluctant to post this for fear it had already been discussed but here goes anyway. in looking at the democratic candidates positions on immigration issues, i was surprised to see how many of them voted to authorize construction of a 700-mile fence along the U.S.-Mexican border. According to cnnpolitics.com the following democratic candidates voted to authorize it: Biden, Clinton, Dodd, & Obama. (i won't even bother with the republicans.)

A wall is not the answer to immigration reform or keeping out terrorists. It can only mean a strain on budgets, the environment & ecosystem, local indian tribes, and families trying to make a better life for themselves. I found this article to be informative.

I like Obama & Edwards and was especially surprised that Obama voted for it. What is he thinking? I also found this site that shows a mixed record of voting on border control. I'm not up to speed on all of the details so any insight is appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really good article infemity. I don't know what they are all thinking. Though, your post to the Obama article is interesting and his record is not as bad as I thought, but certainly is sending mixed messages where he is on the fence. Probably it is a terrorism like issue where the dems are scared into voting for it, but don't really believe in it. Where is Obama on amnesty? I think he supports it.

What about Hillary? I would love to know her opinion. That is an area she is known to be good for and New Yorkers support her for that. PN might no better.

Femi Ford said...

good questions. I'll see what else I can find on Hillary & Edwards.