Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Say What?

um·brage, function: noun 1 : SHADE, SHADOW 2 : shady branches : FOLIAGE 3a : an indistinct indication : vague suggestion : HINT 3b : a reason for doubt : SUSPICION 4 : a feeling of pique or resentment at some often fancied slight or insult
i think of this word often because i like its sound & the different meanings. but mostly i like this word because of what it symbolizes in my short lived career as a public interest lawyer. during my clinical work in elder law at CUNY law school at my first time in court, i presented a guardianship case to a judge for a client with whom i spent much time learning about her life & circumstances. after answering his questions & then re-emphasizing my decision for who could best serve as the client's guardian, he sharply uttered (something to this effect), "i take umbrage with your insistence on my decision... ." but i certainly wasn't surprised at his tone or word choice. he initially referred to me not as co-counsel to my male classmate presenting the case with me, but as my classmate's assistant. don't you just love the legal profession?

No comments: