Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Assault On Reason


Raw Story has a mini review of Al Gore's new book The Assault on Reason. His book will be provocative to say the least and will further speculation that he is gathering up for another run at the Whitehouse. There are several candidates this year who I am interested in supporting including Edwards, Obama even Gravel now (who clearly does not stand a shot, but is fun to watch), but no one sparks my interest like Gore, who by the way I did not vote for in 2000.

His book, which I have looked forward to now for six months seems it is not going to disappoint. In an excerpt in Time Magazine Gore articulates that logical debate in the American discourse is under assault. He says and I quote: "Faith in the power of reason -- the belief that free citizens can govern themselves wisely and fairly by resorting to logical debate on the basis of the best evidence available, instead of raw power -- remains the central premise of American democracy,"This premise is now under assault."

Gore is a changed man, it seems and is discussing the meaning of democracy and the fragility of our Union and that it is not that far off that we could lose the ability of the governed to rule themselves. These are discussions that no other candidate is addressing, combine this with the credibility he brings I could not help myself supporting him. Never mind the importance of the global warming issue; could this be a comeback like Nixon in 1968? This time to change the future of our nation and our planet.

My honest opinion if I were to bet right now is he won't run. But, as the summer goes on I may be on the sidelines cheering for his entry.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

approximately 250 million years ago (give or take) there was so much plant life the oxygen concentration was at 40% (currently it's about 21%). For some reason there was a huge shift in a small period of time due to blocking out the sun. (either volcano, meterior, etc...) Anyways my point is..... global warming ? So what, the earth has undergone MAJOR changes a bunch of times and it will go through many more with or without mankind. In fact there is an ice age every 20,000 years or so. I say bring on the warmth ! :)

Anonymous said...

hey if you want to ignore every legitimate scientist on the planet, that is your choice. I choose to believe in Science. You can believe in ho I don't say, make believe?

Anonymous said...

ccheese obviously is not and will not be moving to Africa anytime soon. But what do most people care about the continent that, will by all accounts be dramatically affected by worse droughts than ever. he will be sittng in his air conditioned SUV.