Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Beginning of Oscar Season

"No Country for Old Men," Joel and Ethan Coen's visceral crime thriller based on the novel by Cormac McCarthy, was named best film of 2007 Wednesday by the National Board of Review of Motion Pictures.

George Clooney was named best actor for his role as a "fixer" at a high-powered New York law firm in "Michael Clayton" and veteran Julie Christie received best actress honors as a woman suffering from Alzheimer's in "Away From Her."

Best director went to Tim Burton for his adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim musical, "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street."

Casey Affleck was named best supporting actor for "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," and Amy Ryan was selected supporting actress for "Gone Baby Gone."

Julian Schnabel's French-language drama, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" was NBR's selection for best foreign film. Best documentary honors went to "Body of War."

I have not seen any of these movies, though I am sure I will check them out over the coming months. I put no stock in the Oscars whatsoever, but I love movies and critics awards are fun to pay attention to. I have not been planning to see "No Country for Old Men," but now maybe I will check it out. I recently read Cormac McCarthy's "the Road" which was compelling, but I don't believe Pulitzer Prize compelling. So far, the best movies I have seen thus far have been a couple of Irish films: "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" and "Once." Both great films.

The National Board of Review awards will be given out in New York City on Jan. 15.

Other winners: Animated film: "Ratatouille"
Acting by an ensemble: "No Country for Old Men"
Breakthrough performance actor: Emile Hirsch, "Into the Wild"
Breakthrough performance actress: Ellen Page, "Juno"
Directorial debut: Ben Affleck, "Gone Baby Gone"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

can't wait to see juno, that's all i can think about. heard some clips on npr today. i fell over laughing at ellen page. she's a hoot!

Anonymous said...

No Country For Old Men, according to my brother, is amazing. It's the Coen Brothers, so I will be seeing it. They are sick.

My parents saw Michael Clayton, and loved it. George clooney has turned a huge page in his life, and many reviews are putting this as the role of his life. I will watch both, as well as Eastern Promises, which hasnt made it to Bauru yet, but looks amazing. Viggo Mortenson is supposed to be excellent as a Russian mobster in London.

Anonymous said...

yes absolutely, No Country For Old Men blew my mind, Javier Bardem's character Anton Cshigur makes the movie hypnotising while disturbingly brilliant, the Coen Brother's are in full force as the best filmmakers out there.