Wednesday, August 8, 2007

756

There is a new Home Run King and his name is Barry Bonds. 756 represents the most recognized number in American Sports.

Nobody in the majors, not Hank Aaron, not Babe Ruth, has ever hit more home runs than Barry Bonds. I am torn about it, certainly. There is a cloud over his head. A large one. Still, you cannot teach someone to hit like Bonds hits. Steroids, undoubtedly has helped his performance. But, they do not help every one's performance hit like Bonds does.

On the other hand, I followed Bonds as a young player. He was the new Willie Mays. I adored him, though most hated him. He had the five tools that everyone talks about. Hit, hit for power, run, throw and field. He could do it all. I followed and watched him as a pirate steal 50 bases and then go 40/40 (40 steals and 40 homers) only the second player in baseball history to do it. I watched his first three MVP's, but he did not get the respect he deserved. Ever. This is indisputable. How is it that Bonds (even before the Ruthian numbers) got left off the All-Century team? To me, he was the best left fielder to ever play, outside of Ted Williams before the power numbers went crazy. But, we overlooked him to his dismay. This is outlined in the book "Game of Shadows" to some extent.

But, I cannot say I am jumping for joy. I have been ambivalent about his passing Aaron for years now. And I remain so.

2 comments: