Thursday, August 30, 2007

A New York Hero

I first went to CBGB when I was about 17, with my friend, Joe. I remember feeling butterflies when I was waiting outside to see some no-name bands play. Standing under the white umbrella marquee sign, I could almost feel the history spilling out of the place. I walked in, and was in the most famous dive in the world. That was about 1993. The club closed last year, after a drawn-out fight with its landlord, and yesterday, Hilly Kristal, its founder, died.

The first band that ever played in the place named for
Hilly's favorite types of music, Country, Bluegrass,
and Blues, was Television. Kristal, in an interview
with NPR, said that when he first saw the Ramones on stage, he was anything but impressed. 'Their amps kept going on and off, they were fighting on stage...but they got better, as we all know.' Other bands to get their big break at CBs were Blondie and The Talking Heads.

One rule that Kristal had was that bands had to play their own stuff. No covers. Originality ruled on the stage at CBGB. New York City and the world will miss Hilly and his dive. I know that I sure will.

No comments: