Wednesday, July 18, 2007

eco-chic or eco-trash??!!

a month ago, in my post bag the habit, i linked to a fun canvas bag alternative, i'm not a plastic bag. since then, i've seen a few around hoboken... but in today's NYT's urban eye email... check out how consumerized & ultra hip the bag became... $300 on ebay!

i'm trying to think positively since more folks are buying canvas bags, but is it only a hipster statement or will the buyers ditch plastic?

"They caused rioting in Asia and created a stir in London, and today, Anya Hindmarch’s “I’m Not a Plastic Bag” totes will go on sale at Whole Foods. The slogan-emblazoned canvas sacks are meant to replace those wasteful plastic grocery bags (100 billion of which are thrown away each year in the United States) and, Marian Burros says, make you fashionably eco-chic as well. The designer herself will be on hand to promote them; given that they’re going for as much as $300 on eBay, start queuing now.

Bags, $15 each; limit three per customer, at local Whole Foods (doors open at 8 a.m.). Anya Hindmarch is scheduled to be at the new Whole Foods at Houston Street and Bowery, Lower East Side, starting at 8 a.m."

3 comments:

magda flores said...

I saw this article a couple of weeks ago. I'm with you on being conflicted. It seems to me you could use any old canvas tote. Why pay $300? Think of what good could be done with $300!

(Although it really is a cute bag...)

Anonymous said...

It it a great bag. Maybe we should start our own anti-hipster bag co. Because the message is cool, but $300 is ridiculous.

JulieZing said...

I love the bag, and I wish I had been able to buy one -- but alas, I had to work and was not able to stand in line at Whole Foods at 6am. But I digress... I am frankly annoyed with the designer because although her intensions are good, by releasing only a limited number, they have become a luxury item and are selling on ebay for at least $150 and upwards of $300! And the profits are not going to environmental causes or to produce even more canvas bags, but to e(bay)tards. And if more were made, more people would use them.

Has anyone seen anything simillarly cool lately?