Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Texas' Feminist Bookstore Faced with Closure


It seems like only yesterday that I brought news of another woman owned business closing up shop in Austin, Texas. Sadly, I have more news. Texas’ only feminist bookstore is being forced to close up shop if it can’t raise $50,000 by mid-December – that’s just around the corner, kids.

I have such great memories of BookWoman. I remember when I was young and my mother returned from a trip to Austin sporting a new shirt she got from the local women’s bookstore (the pic on the left was what was on the shirt). I was in awe. I didn’t know there was such a thing. I had never even thought about feminism much less the need for a space for women’s work. When I moved to Austin a few years later for school, BookWoman became one of my favorite places. I bought some of my first feminist theory books there, perused the music section and attended many organizing events.

Needless to say, I’m certain that BookWoman is important to many, many other Texans – young, old, male, female, most importantly feminists. Do what you can to help them find a more affordable space and keep their doors open. Learn more about their struggle and donate a little scratch.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow magda, it just gets worse, huh? i'm always worried about the day when the remaining small, independent nyc bookstores close their doors. it's possible. especially with amazon. i will read further about this place. thx.

Anonymous said...

Since I am not buying Christmas gifts this year, maybe this will be a place I give money. Sad. Keep us posted.