Friday, November 2, 2007

S A R A H T A K E S O N N E W J E R S E Y

sarah in nj, perfect together! fun interview. i'm thrilled to read how she loves ruth gordon (my favorite too-- harold & maude, my bodyguard, rosemary's baby) and wants to dominate the garden state!

Sarah Silverman looks to dominate N.J.
Wednesday, October 31, 2007

By CHUCK DARROW, Courier-Post Staff

Who's the reigning Queen of Comedy?

It says here it's Sarah Silverman, whose slash-and-burn comic stylings currently have her rocketing to stardom.

In case you can't place her, Silverman's the one who, during the recent MTV Video Music Awards, famously busted on Britney Spears after the tabloid darling's train wreck of a performance on the broadcast.

She's also the creator-star of the Comedy Central series "The Sarah Silverman Program," a quintessential love-it-or-hate-it affair which has no qualms about making light of any subject up to and including racism and abortion (it is also the most pro-marijuana effort since Cheech & Chong's 1970s heyday).
Although she's just hitting the big time, Silverman, who on Saturday headlines two shows at Borgata, is anything but an overnight sensation. She was a "Saturday Night Live" cast member in the early 1990s and you may remember her in her guest role as the girlfriend whose "jimmy legs" caused sleep issues for Kramer on "Seinfeld."
Silverman, 36, also was the one who stole the spotlight from dozens of higher-profile comics when she deadpanned a (false) accusation about being sexually assaulted by New York City television icon Joe Franklin in the 2005 documentary "The Aristocrats."
In an increasingly coarse and shock-proof world, Silverman has emerged as one of the performers who still can push people's buttons. Which is one reason why she has gone from mid-level stand-up to A-list multimedia celebrity.
While the Bedford, N.H., native is open to doing interviews, she insists on conducting them by e-mail:
Q: Considering the nature of your work and your persona, it's easy to assume you grew up in New York City or some other urban area. How did Bedford, N.H., produce the notorious Sarah Silverman?
A: I don't know. Even before I ever went to NYC people would ask if I was from there and I would be, like, "What? No, I'm from here!" But I moved to NYC when I was 18 and felt like I was finally home.
Q: How different is the offstage Sarah from the one we see on stage and on camera?
A: Off stage I'm Mexican.
Q: When you were young, there weren't many female stand-up comics and even fewer who were doing any kind of real envelope pushing. Who were your influences?
A: I loved Ruth Gordon. Not a stand-up but a brilliant comic actress and writer. I would love to be like her someday. I grew up in love with Steve Martin. And then was so lucky to meet and work with Garry Shandling, who I learned so much from on so many levels. I owe him a lot.
Q: I once heard you described as the reincarnation of Lenny Bruce. Does that description work for you?
A: I can't say I agree, but I realize it's very flattering. He lived at a time where being risky actually meant RISKING SOMETHING. I'm not going to let myself believe that I'm anywhere near that. I mean, really, I do poop jokes.
Q: You are definitely one of pop-culture's "It" girls these days. Does that worry you? Scare you? Make you laugh? Cry?
A: Yes. I don't like it. Because I think that directly after "it"-ness inevitably comes backlash. I'm happiest on the periphery.
Q: Is "dominate show business" on Sarah Silverman's things-to-do list?
A: Nope. My things-to-do list is fill windshield wiper fluid tank; buy Cottonelle wipes; dominate New Jersey (specifically the Borgata in Atlantic City).

Show times are 8 and 11 p.m. Admission is $50. Call (866) 900-4849 or visit http://www.theborgata.com/.

1 comment:

Femi Ford said...

i tuned it wed night. what a fun show. can't believe she hails from NH.