Thursday, June 7, 2007

Walking the Walk

I have recently been recruited to run as a committee person in the local democratic party election as a write-in candidate by an Assembly candidate. After many discussions here and countless discussions over the last two and a half years since the debauchery that took place in November 2004, I have thought about jumping into politics. This is not a jump of course, this is a half-step. There is no campaigning, just telling my friends to write me in. If I get in who knows? But, changing Hudson county politics might be as difficult as convincing Bush to withdraw from Iraq.

Hudson County is known for its machine politics completely controlled by the Hudson County Democratic Organization, but this year there is a schism. After Menendez was elected Senator a whole chain of events occurred, Sires was elected to Congress and then Bernard Kenney stepped down because of pressure from the ethically challenged (it seems) Brian Stack and now there are several seats open for assembly as well as the Senate seat. The machine is lacking oil and many think now is the time to challenge it.

It is worth a try. I will let you all know how it turns out. Election is Tuesday, June 5th. If anyone knows anyone in Ward 6 Hoboken, let me know.

Update:

I was elected Hoboken Democratic Committeeman Ward 6, District 1 on Tuesday. Results are still unofficial, but no one ran against me so hopefully that bodes well. Supposedly the organizing worked and the democratic machine now has to negotiate. Anyway, I plan to use this as a vehicle to discuss progressive democratic politics. Brian Stack won with 76% of the vote in district 33 as our State Senator. I have no idea where he stands on anything. No issues were discussed. Does he support universal healthcare? Immigration reform? Property tax reform? He is a dual office holder-- Is he giving that up? No one has any idea because issues were not a part of the campaign. I want to change that and talk about what government is supposed to be doing.

Wish me luck.

9 comments:

Phil and Greta said...

That is really cool. Good luck.

By the way, If you need any "muscle" for the election, let me know. I know Hudson County politics. I also know a guy who knows a guy who can get things done, if you know what I mean, you just let me know!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Very nice, man. I am really interested in talking to you after you have gotten your feet wet in the mire that I have heard if Hudson County politics. You have some great ideas, man. Fight for them, and keep all of us connected and updated. You are on the inside now.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Have you called John Cocktoston back yet? The Scotch-Romanian director of the DNC Upcoming Politicians Group?

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats! This is where you belong. I'm so excited for you to kick some serious political machine butt. I know you can.

Anonymous said...

Thanks all. I have not yet called John Cocktoston. When he called I was on the phone with Fred Manfrangenson.

Anonymous said...

Alright. Now that's democracy in action. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Congrads... It's finally time to have someone out their running that truly cares about today's serious topics.

Good luck!

JulieZing said...

Congrats, John. I'd love to help. Let me know what we can do.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! Keep us posted.