Sunday, June 3, 2007

MLB Notes: Red Sox/Yankees and God Bless America

As we sit at June 3rd, the Red Sox lead the Yankees by 13 1/2 games (sorry Daddydan). I pray, however this is not another 1978 which would roll everything back to before 2004. Unlikely, but I am still a Red Sox fan and anything is possible. And while we wait for the Sunday night game tonight I thought I would describe my Red Sox/Yankee experience on May 22nd.

We took the D train all the way up to the Bronx, an experience my Boston buddy needed. Because, though I grew up near Boston and root vociferously against the Yankees, indeed there is no other city like New York and nothing in the states even compares. We settled into our seats in deep left field, a beer in hand and enjoying the Bronx and baseball as it should be played, passion everywhere. However, as Manny Ramirez hit a HR in the 1st inning with one out we were pelted with food and drink. I was even stupid enough to turn around...and a young girl asked for the piece of bread still on my shirt. I throw it back and she consequently pelts my friend with it. We thought to ourselves, "This is going to be a long game."

It was nonetheless, ok. A few scary moments with crazy, angry Yankee fans, but for the most part we were treated with respect. A few unwelcome fools that spoil it for everyone. But, in the seventh inning as Kate Jackson belted out God Bless America I did not stand. I took my Red Sox hat off as not to attain too much attention. But, the entire row behind us began to tell me to stand up. "Have some respect." I looked in my friend's eyes and could tell I was alone with this one. "Come on man, it is a matter of respect." I turned and said, "Dude, I grew up in the military, I have respect, but this is an inherently political song." No answer - the same vitriol that seemed to increase.

What saved me, however my shirt that has RCAF on the front, which stands for Royal Canadian Air Force, became more visible to them. I heard one say to the other, "He's Canadian that explains it." I didn't stand and I avoided catastrophe. Whew. The only other scary moment was the walk to the subway where we definitely began to fear for our lives. We walked with some older men in their seventies who were there to see a baseball game (from Texas). We hope to be them someday seeing baseball in every park in the majors. But, a chant of Red Sox suck began, louder and louder. It would have been easy to get into trouble. But, we didn't. Red Sox 7 - 3.

Other notes: Griffey, Jr. is having a great year and on Friday hit #575... His teammate Josh Hamilton is on the D.L. He is the phenom with the former drug problem. He had a stomach problem, but is back in the minors and in three games has hit three homers. He will be back Tuesday...Bonds is in a bit of a slump at 746. He is looking older and older as the season progresses, much like a soon to be 43 year older should. I am probably the first to say this, but if this keeps up it is not a sure thing he hits 756 this year. I guess age no matter what you use catches up with you. He made a big error last night and has looked terribly slow in the field. Frank Thomas is nearing 500 homers very soon. Glavine is stuck at 295 wins for the time being and Roger Clemens is sidelined until further notice with a groin injury. Is he still collecting his 18+ million? And the Cubs seemto be in disarray, yet again. Carlos Zambrano, a pitcher with the Cubs put an ass whooping on his own catcher, Michael Barrett (who has seen plenty of fights) splitting his lip and giving him black eyes because Barrett made a bone head play.

All in a weekend of baseball. The greatest game on the planet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really have some courage wearing Red Sox stuff to Yankee stadium these days. Yankee nuts are pissed, and things are not getting better for the Yanks. The season is effectively over for them with their 13 game hole.

But if you really want to play with fire, go to a big game between two Brazilian soccer teams like Corinthians and Palmeiras, and wear the wrong jersey to the wrong cheering section. That is just plain crazy.

Anonymous said...

I hope my under cover Yankees friend didn't hurt you too much with the trash throwing. I told her that despite your allegiance to the "other" team, you're still a good guy and asked that she take it easy on you (this time).

Liz