Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Taking to the Streets


Today, Tuesday, is a light work day for me, so I did what I have tried to do most days for the last four months. I took a walk. I try to walk about 2 or 3 miles, nothing incredible, but enough to work up a sweat. In another post, I talked about the people I see picking up recycling and refuse of all sorts, and it struck me today: walking really changes your perspective.
I drive a lot now that I live in Bauru, Brazil. I could take a bus, but I don't. It is not something I am proud of, but I don't really have the patience to take a bus and wait for that bus, and maybe miss that bus. So, I see things too often from inside a moving car, and the world passes by outside. I am kind of protected inside my piece of fiberglass, but I am also closed off from the real world. It happens around me, but I am just passing through it, and not a part of it.
I used to live very differently in New York City, when I lived in Ridgewood, Queens. I took the subway or walked everywhere. Anyway, I got to thinking that I needed to get back to some of that walking. Every day, I read about the world getting hotter, pollution getting worse, and gas getting more expensive. So, I guess I just decided to try to do some more walking to help myself feel a little more connected to the solution, and not just a part of the problem.
Now, if I need to get some bread, I try to walk the five blocks, and not just jump in the car. And I really am enjoying myself. I pay attention to things more, I feel healthier, and happier.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

daddydan, a thoughtful post, honest and reflective. i'm glad you are walking more than you drive whenever possible. we sold our jeep in the fall & it felt liberating! we walk, take mass transit & if we must have a car for something, we get a zipcar. i'm rarely in a car now, and you're right, you experience, interact and see more!