Friday, June 15, 2007

"chambermaid" -- a law clerk tells all!


my clerkship experience (superior court, family division) drove me insane. i fetched coffee, located lost files and served as copier girl as well as managed most aspects of my judge's life, on and off the bench. my colleagues and i shared horror stories of life in our respective chambers and working with our super ego inflated bosses. secured in my brain are many unsavory details about the experience and the man behind the robe. i still shudder at the way justice was dispensed and how our court "conducted" business. mostly i shared juicy details with friends and family, all the while wondering how to construct a story about my misadventures.


well, for all my fellow sufferers and clerks-to-be... one federal clerk-turned-author has done it! saira rao, who clerked in the third circuit, has opened the door to the chamber secrets by writing a novel based on personal observations. "chambermaid" (recently published) recounts the story of a young lawyer clerking in federal-appeals court for a "power-hungry sociopath." check out her website for an excerpt.

congrats ms. rao, for telling it like it is! i, for one, can't wait to read more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07231/810072-148.stm

a great review...