Thursday, October 25, 2007

An Ode to Paul Wellstone (July 21, 1944 - October 25, 2002)


From Wellstone Action: Five years ago today, a plane crash took the lives of Paul and Sheila Wellstone, their daughter Marcia, and three campaign aides - Mary McEvoy, Tom Lapic, and Will McLaughlin. Today, October 25, is a day of remembrance, a time to honor our friends. We miss their joy, their passion and their commitment to building a more just and peaceful world.

I wrote this poem in October of 2002 in complete shock at the death of my political hero. As I have said before on this blog I was two days away from leaving for Minnesota to work the last two weeks of his campaign. Nothing in the political world ever shook me the way the death of Paul Wellstone shook me. His vision and his essence (along with his wife Sheila) was vanquished never to be replaced. At a time when we needed him the most. This is what I wrote on my way home from a peace protest in Washington, D.C.


"An Honorable Profession"


A light vanquished
a flame no less eternal
stoke these coals and
fan the embers
of this frightened life...
courageous one show me the way

A star that shined so bright
no longer shines that light
just one more time, Professor
(before you go)
teach me what to say

lives were touched gently,
subtly, passionately...forever
teaching truth to power
you stood alone...
a human among politicians
Senator how much do we have to pay?

Lie asleep for now
as we carry the message in your name
together we shall join the fight
and gear up for a long journey
and you shall be proud
when we finally meet one day

No comments: