can you clean & stay green? i stopped buying those crazy-smelling, eye-burning toxic cleaning products and started to look for alternatives in my local health food, organic store. but what will really clean the grime in the tub and on the counter tops?
the green guide offers this handy list on what to buy that's an all-purpose cleaner but gentle for the environment.
also check out this handy product, simple green (i first discovered it while living in san francisco in the 90s).
- Simple Green is qualified under EPA and OSHA guidelines as nontoxic and biodegradable; rescue workers have even used it to clean animals after oil spills.
- Simple Green has donated 1 mil gal of its products to disaster and humanitarian relief projects.
- Except for a few ready-to-use products, the formulas are concentrated, so you can use less of them than other cleaners - it also means there's less packaging waste and energy use for shipping.
- Its EGBAR Foundation funds community cleanups and environmental education programs, which more than 1.5 mil kids have participated in.
- Uses easily recyclable, PVC-free packaging.