Sunday, April 29, 2007

renato's papermaking process



part of my work as a grantwriter involves developing art programs for kids in under-resourced communities. once in awhile we find just the right combination of creative activity and dynamic teacher. the results are beautiful-- laughing kids, one of a kind master pieces and a feeling of belonging. here's what renato (see 4/26 post) taught our kids in paterson.

how to make paper (simplified version):


1. after ripping up unwanted old paper of any kind and soaking it in water, add to the blender, add some coloring and other stuff to create the pulp. photo on left.


2. the pulp is placed in vats, where it is sifted and placed evenly on screens. the screens are then lifted to reveal new paper sheets which get pressed and moved to the drying racks. photo on right.


3. final product! i sent several sheets of our paper to renee french http://www.reneefrench.com/ and voila... here is what she created on the kids' handmade paper!








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post...such a cool art form and teaching kids to be creative. So cool...where is Renato when you need him?

Alarcão said...

Hello, I'm here! This is Renato Alarcão writing. I must say I had a wonderful time teaching the YMCA kids how to make paper. To be honest I always learned something from them whenever I went to class. Picasso used to say something I find very true:
"Every kid is an artist. The problem is to keep on being an artist once they grow older".